Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tony watches a really sad movie but somehow turns it into a comedy and also thinks he speaks Hindi and has no idea what he's saying

So if you've seen Slumdog Millionaire, you know that it is absolutely not a comedy. I don't even think it has one funny line in the whole movie.
It's a great movie, it's amazing. But it's not funny.

Leave it to Tony to turn a drama/tragedy/action-packed/sad/beautiful movie into a comedy.
Watch this clip in case you haven't seen the movie. It's just a trailer, it won't give it away.




This post has four parts. All of them include Tony being ridiculous, and turning a drama into a comedy.

Part One:
The host in Slumdog Millionaire says,
"Welcome back to Who Wants To Be A Millon-aire." (Millon, not million, see the difference?) Just watch the first part of the video above if you want to hear how he says it.

So now Tony walks around all the time and says things like:
"If I were a millonaire, I'd buy you that."
"I wish I had more of these. I could really use a millon of them."
"I feel like a millon bucks."


Part Two:
The main character in Slumdog Millionaire delivers chai to the people in his office, so this makes him a chai-wallah, one who makes chai.

So now Tony walks around all the time saying things like:
"You're a chai-wallah."
"I'll chai-wallah you."
"Do you want this soup? I will be a soup-wallah."

Part Three:
The closing credits to Slumdog Millionaire feature a Bollywood style dance scene where the characters dance to a song called "Jai Ho" on the subway station landing. Tony has no idea what Jai Ho means. But he likes to think that he does.

So now Tony walks around all the time saying things like:
"Jai-Ho!"
"Do you want to Jai Ho over there?"
"Let's Jai Ho."

I looked it up on the internet and Jai Ho apparently means, "May you be victorious." Shocking. It is not a verb, as Tony likes to think.

Part Four:
In the movie, when the kid states his final answer, the host says, "Computer-ji Lock Kiya-jaye"

So not Tony walks around all the time saying things like:
"Computer Ji"
"Let's see... what should we have for dinner... Computer Ji, Lock Kiya-jaye!"
"Computer Ji- Lock Kiya Jaye - doo doo doo doo doo" (Who wants to be a millionaire theme song)


So yeah, we've watched lots of movies since then. I'm really hoping another one will strike his fancy so that he stops quoting Slumdog Millionaire all the time.

In the meantime,
Jai-Ho!

2 comments:

  1. I am laughing to myself at the thought of you two Jai-Hoing around. Seriously in tears.

    Did Tony like the movie? Didn't didn't which I maintain is proof he has bad taste in movies. Who didn't like Slumdog Millionaire?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA yes. Jai-Ho has become common vernacular in our daily lives.
    He loved the movie. I guess that's the first I've heard of anyone not liking it. I'm with you on this one, it was a great movie!

    ReplyDelete